A Directory of Archives useful for history of Archaeology Research.
Founded in 1901, the British School at Rome joined the British School at Athens (est. 1886) as a centre for archaeologists, architects, artists and travellers to engage with the archaeology, architecture, art and history of Rome, Italy and beyond. Originally housed in the Palazzo Odescalchi, in 1916 the BSR moved to its current premises, a converted Edwin Lutyens building originally designed as the British Pavilion in the 1911 International Exhibition.
One early BSR director was Thomas Ashby, who alongside Assistant Director Eugénie Sellers Strong presided over the School in early 20th century. The archaeologist John Ward-Perkins, Director of the BSA just after WW2, also made an important contribution to archaeology in Italy through field surveys.
Archive projects include "Thomas Ashby and the First World War" and "Ashby and the Abruzzo".
Scope of collections:
Photographs, documents (inc. School administrative records, correspondence), maps, prints
Archives webpage: http://www.bsr.ac.uk/library/archive
Digital Collections website: www.bsr.ac.uk/library/digital-collections; http://www.bsrdigitalcollections.it/
Alessandra Giovenco, Archivist
Dyson, S. 2001. Eugenie Sellers Strong: Portrait of an Archaeologist.
Wallace-Hadrill, A. 2001. The British School at Rome: One Hundred Years. London: British School at Rome.